POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm? : Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 25 Mar 1999 18:09:30
Message: <36FAC0EB.A0255447@infomagic.com>
POV-Ray looks like a great piece of software. Too bad I can't use it. *_*

Using POV-Ray 3.1d for Mac 68k w/o FPU on a Performa 475 (68LC040/25) running
MacOS 8.1, I encountered the following problems:

1. "Preview" tab in render settings seems to have the same crashing bug as
"Output" tab (the latter bug having been documented). "Editor" tab in
preferences has the same problem. Workaround seems to be the same, but
occasionally fails.

2. Despite what the dox claim, there is no way to #include files from any
directory other than the one in which the current scene file resides; messing
with .INI files and setting an alternate folder in the prefs has no effect.

3. Regardless of the mosaic size you specify, the minimum starting size seems
to be four pixels.. even if you turn mosaic off. If the mosaic is set to
something like start 128/end 32, it will render down to 32 pixel mosaic and
then jump to 4 instead of jumping to 1.

4. Additionally, once the mosaic size gets down to 8 (or 16? I forget), the
giant "pixels" are blurred, as if POV-Ray were trying to antialias them.. even
when anitaliasing is turned off.

5. And the worst is saved for last: about 80-90% of the time, a preview render
will lock up the machine. The complexity and composition of the scene seem not
to matter, and it almost always happens when POV-Ray gets down to 2 pixel mosaic.

Is anyone else out there with a similar configuration suffering similar problems?

-Xplo